Take a peek at our past, the roots that sustain us.
Our library is located in the back of the Albany Town Hall, which was built as a church in 1868. It was originally owned by the Congregational Church Society which was instrumental in starting the library around 1898. A few years before that, volunteers used oxen to haul granite and stone from the Philips Farm (located between Albany and Irasburg) to lay a foundation and build a vestry at the rear of the church to meet the church's need for additional space.
It was in this new addition that the public library was born. Local women gathered reading materials, and historical documents relating to the church were added to the collection. So it was that the Albany Library Association was formed, and they operated out of the church until 1924.
In 1925, the entire building was sold to the Town for a dollar for use as a town hall and library. The Albany Library Association continued to operate, until 1982 when the library closed for three years. In 1985 the Maple Valley Grange took on the revitalization of the library, and won state and national awards for this work. It was moved for a time to share space with the town clerk's office, and in 1987 moved back to its original location.
In 2014, a new entrance with a ramp was built a the back of the building, increasing access to the library. In January, 2018, with help from a grant from the Preservation Trust of Vermont, the carpet was replaced, and other improvements were made to the space. With support from the Pleasants Fund, the library joined forces with the Craftsbury Public Library and our collection is now part of a collaborative online catalog, making it easier to view and access library materials.